Today is Friday and that means it is time for Friday’s Fave Five. Since the Commander has been off on a business trip this week, returning today, I thought it might be fun to write about five things that I always look forward to doing when he is away. You see, he rarely goes anywhere on business so these trips are few and far between. I know that most spouses dread having their husbands away on business. Well, at least that is what they say. But for me, I always kind of feel like the proverbial teenager whose parents turn to her and say, “We’re going to be gone for the next week and we’re leaving you in charge of the house. Bye!” Whee! Oh now, don’t let your imagination get the better of you. I hardly go crazy when he’s away. But I definitely feel like the adult has left the building. Time to throw some spitballs. So here are five things that I always look forward to doing when the Commander is out of town.
1. I get to sleep with the dog. Poor Fresca never gets to sleep in our bedroom (and certainly NOT on the bed) when the Commander is in residence. So when he is not home, Fresca gets to not only be in our bedroom but hop on the bed and snooze there all night long.
2. I get to stay up as late as I want. When the Commander is here, I always feel like I should head to bed around the same time that he goes to bed. Many times I’m in the middle of doing something on the computer or I’m just not tired and don’t really feel like going to bed but I drag myself off to bed anyway. Then I like to read for awhile but I feel guilty about reading too long since I don’t want to disturb hubby’s sleep. So when the Commander is away, I can stay up as late as I want to AND when I DO go to bed, I can read in bed as long as I want to, also. If I want to keep the light on until 1 a.m. and read, I do it.
3. I can sleep in in the mornings. Well, in theory this should be doable. However, since the dog is in the bedroom, she insists on getting me up at the usual time because she wants to eat and be let out around 7 a.m. So even though I might have stayed up late the night before, I’m usually up with the birds in the morning, too. But I COULD go back to bed, I suppose, if I wanted after feeding the dog and letting her do her business.
4. I can eat whatever I want WHEN I want to eat. When my hubby is away, I don’t have to fix supper if I don’t want to AND if I want to eat dessert only for my meal, I can do so. (I told you it was like being a kid left in charge of themselves.) I just HATE having to drop whatever I’m doing to go fix a meal. It would be so nice if house fairies just showed up with a full meal in tow, piping hot and ready to serve each day around 6 p.m. Alas, that doesn’t happen at my house. So when I don’t have to feed anyone but myself, it is a luxury. My diet hasn’t been the greatest this week, but I’ve dictated the terms. Such empowerment!
5. I don’t have to clean the house. Whee! I can leave things laying around if I want to and not feel guilty. In theory, this is the case. In actuality, I usually get bothered by the mess and end up cleaning anyway. This week, one of my girlfriends came over for a sewing lesson so I ended up having to clean the house anyway. Phooey! But that was offset by the fun we had sewing and kibitzing throughout the day.
There you have it….the five things I enjoy “when the adults have left the building.” If you’d like to read what others are writing about for their Friday’s Fave Five visit Susanne’s site at Living to tell the Story.